Want to learn how to link your phone number with NIN?
As a countermeasure against insurgency and acute insecurity in the country. The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Nigerian Communication Commission gave a directive to all network providers in the country to block all sim cards that are not registered with the National Identity Number (NIN)
Subsequently, NCC gave a two weeks ultimatum for registration and linking of your NIN with your mobile numbers.
The past weeks have seen a larger turnout of citizens jam-packed various NIMC Center throughout the country for registration and linking.
Due to the large outcry of people concerning the deadline and the fear of an imminent second wave of Covid 19. NNC has extended the deadline for registration.
The New Deadline
On the 21st of December, 2020, NNC announced a new deadline after a meeting with concerned stakeholders.
“Three weeks extension for subscribers with NIN from December 30, 2020, to January 19, 2020” and “a six weeks extension for subscribers without NIN from December 30, 2020, to February 9, 2020” to do the needful.
How To Link Your Phone Number With NIN
Kudos to all telecommunication providers in Nigeria for making it much easy for citizens to link their NIN with their phone numbers from the comfort of their homes.
This post will guide you through how to link your NIN to your Airtel phone number, how to link your NIN to your Glo phone number, how to link your NIN to your MTN phone number. how to link your NIN to your 9mobile number.
Getting Your NIN
To get your NIN if you’re doing the same for the first time;
- Visit any NIMC center around you.
- Apply for NIN Registration.
- Fill in all the necessary details and ensure your biometrics data are captured.
- Collect your temporary slip that contains your NIN number.
While if you’ve done your NIN registration in the past and probably forgotten where you keep the slip. You don’t necessarily need to visit any NIMC Office for another registration. Just follow through with the steps listed below.
- Dial *346# on the sim card used for the registration.
- Write down your NIN.
- Know that this service will cost you #20 worth of airtime.
You can also get your old NIN by visiting any Commercial Bank around you.
- Pay #500 through Remita into the coffers of NIMC
- Go to any NIMC near you with the proof of payment.
- When confirmed, you will receive a new slip containing all your details (your NIN, Names e.t.c)
You can then proceed thereafter with linking your numbers.
How To Link Your NIN To Your Airtel Phone Number
Ensure you’ve successfully captured your biometrics data with NIMC and your unique NIN (a randomly generalized digits) is provided for you.
Through USSD Code
- Dial *121*1# on your Airtel Line.
- You will see a pop-up message like “Please insert your Government approved 11 digit NIN number”.
- Carefully Enter your NIN in the space provided and press send.
- Wait for a confirmation message from Airtel such as “Thank you for providing your NIN details”
- In case you get an error message, retry the process some other times later.
To link your NIN through SMS on Airtel lines;
- Enter your phone message box and send “NIN 12345682728” (Your NIN Number) to 121.
- Wait for a confirmation message.
Through Airtel Website
This is the third way on how to link your NIN with your Airtel phone number.
- Visit https://www.airtel.com.ng.nin on your mobile device or computer
- Complete the online registration form by providing all the necessary details asked thereon and submit.
How To Link Your NIN To Your MTN Phone Number
Below are the ways on how to link your NIN with your MTN Number
Through MTN Website
- Visit https://mtnonline.com/nin on your phone or computer.
- Fill in the empty boxes accordingly with your First Name, Last Name, Middle Name (Though Optional), Phone Number, NIN, and Your Email Address.
- Then click on submit.
Through USSD Codes
- Dial *785# with your MTN sim card.
- Carefully enter your NIN provided alongside the pop-up message of “Yello! Please enter your 11-digits NIN”
- Press Send
- Wait for a confirmation message such as “Yello, your submission is successful”.
- If otherwise, you receive an error message, try the procedure again as this may be due to network errors.
- Dial *785*YourNIN* on the MTN line you want to link
- Wait for the Successful confirmatory message.
- If showing an error, try the process again.
You can also visit the MyMTN mobile APP to get on with the linking. There is a banner provided for the same. This is the last way on how to link your NIN with your MTN phone number. I am sure either of these procedures will work well for you without any much difficulties.
How To Link Your NIN To Your Glo Phone Number
Like other network providers’ requirement on linking your NIN with your Phone Numbers, to link your NIN with your Glo number is also quite easy.
To achieve an optimum result, follow the steps below on how to link your NIN with your Glo Phone Number.
Through Glo Website
- Visit https://gloworld/ng/nin
- Fill in your details in the spaces provided.
- Complete the verification step and click on submit.
You can as well link your NIN with your Glo number by SMS by;
- Sending UPDATENIN NUMBER First Name Last Name to 109
This should be done in this format; UPDATENIN 12345678901 Taiwo Adenuga
- Wait for any confirmatory message the network will send.
- If it sends an error, try back later.
These are the only way yet on how to link your NIN with your Glo phone number.
How To Link Your NIN with Your 9Mobile Number
Before, to link your NIN with your 9Mobile Phone Number, you will have to visit their office near you but recently they’ve also joined the league of other service providers. By making it easier to comfortably link your NIN with your 9mobile phone number from the corner of your room.
Below is how to link your NIN with your 9mobile number;
Through USSD Code
- Dial *200*8# with your 9mobile sim card.
- Carefully enter your NIN and Send
- Wait for confirmation of success from the network provider
In case of an error, begin the process again but at a later time.
Through 9mobile Website
- Visit https://9mobile.com.ng/nin on your mobile device or computer.
- Follow the prompts and fill in all the necessary details.
- Submit and wait for confirmation.
These are the only way to link your NIN with your 9mobile phone number. If you encounter any error or difficulties doing this, visit any 9mobile outlets nearest to you.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Does the codes *346# works on all Networks?
Yes, the code to check your NIN digits surely works on all networks at a cost of #20 airtime. Though, only on sim cards used for NIN registration.
Will I be charged #20 even though I am yet to register for NIN with my Sim Card?
No, it would only show you an error message and as such, no fee will be deducted.
How Many Sim Cards can I link my NIN with?
This is at the discretion of NNC and your network providers. But at most, you should be able to link 4 different phone numbers with your NIN.
How long does it take for my NIN to be linked with my phone numbers?
It may take from a day to weeks, say 2 weeks at the most.
How will I know my NIN has been successfully linked with my phone numbers?
You will be notified of this by your network providers at the due time.
Would I need to link my NIN with the sim card I used for registration too?
According to the directives of NCC, Yes. All sim cards must be linked with NIN or risked being blocked.